When it comes to staging your home for sale, it is important that you, the seller, create a warm and inviting atmosphere that will appeal to as many potential buyers as possible. Below are 7-Simple Staging Tips from Coldwell Banker Upton-Massamont REALTORS to help boost your home's appeal and give you the competitive edge necessary when selling your home.
1. Stage rooms with one purpose. Extra rooms that have a mishmash of uses can confuse and even deter homebuyers, so staging rooms with one purpose is vital. Keep in mind that buyers are generally looking for areas equipped to meet their needs. So turn storage dens into a home office or the kids' bedroom into a guest bedroom.
2. Tackle the easy "do-it-yourself" projects. To ensure your home is in tip top shape make sure to replace outdated kitchen and bathroom fixtures, apply a fresh coat of paint to a worn wall and refinish the kitchen cabinets. Providing a sleek and modern look wherever possible can make a huge difference in the eyes of homebuyers. To learn more about what home styles are "in fashion," ask a local Coldwell Banker agent about the styles seen in homes that are selling in the area, and purchase a current interior design magazine for ideas.
3. Focus on the living areas. A living room is an area in which potential buyers should be able to envision themselves entertaining friends or gathering with their family. With that in mind, you should make the area appear as large and functional as possible by removing any unnecessary furniture and decorations.
3. Make sure the master bedroom appeals to both sexes. When staging the Master Bedroom, make sure that it appeals to buyers of both sexes. Remove any feature that seems too gender-specific and paint the walls a neutral color.
4. Clear the room of family portraits. Homebuyers are looking for a home they can picture their family living in, not the previous owner's. Coldwell Banker Upton-Massamont REALTORS recommends taking down family portraits, personal collections and knickknacks. Removing these items will also eliminate clutter and ensure that people are looking at the house for sale, not at the photos from the last family vacation.
5. Furnish the home, but don't overdo it. While an empty home looks spacious, it is hard for buyers to visualize their belongings in a home if they are staring at ceilings, floors and bare walls. Leave the basic components of each room, but make sure there is still plenty of open space.
6. Don't forget to spruce up the yard. First impressions often play a role in a consumer's decision making process. Make sure your home's exterior is inviting by trimming the bushes, mowing the lawn and painting faded window trim. Homebuyers looking for a home will appreciate the seller's attention to detail.
Call your Coldwell Banker Upton-Massamont agent today for the service you need to sell your home. We have 4 convenient locations serving the Pioneer Valley.
Amherst: (413) 461-3650 Northampton: (413) 586-8355
So. Deerfield (413) 665-3771 Shelburne Falls (413) 625-6366